Monday, June 22, 2020

Yoga and it's importance in my life..

It was in IIT Bombay during 2003, while getting ready to present my pre-synopsis for the PhD that I first had the issue of low back ache. Sitting for hours at a stretch in front of the PC, my back muscles had got wasted. Except for a brief stretch of yoga, which I discontinued later,  my low back ache pain has been recurring frequently necessitating hospital admission every two years on an average.

The last time I got admitted to St. Johns, Bangalore, doctors suggested it was the final thing, the disc prolapse was too big and hence had to be operated and removed. It was my fate I thought and got ready with Anila at St. Johns hospital for surgery. Met Dr, Issac, HOD who asked me to get clearance from other areas and we went to the blood dept. It was here that my sister at GIC Corp Mumbai called up and asked me come what may, to go home and take rest.

It's almost 3 years now. Practicing a combination of physiotherapy and yoga, I can say with all my heart that there is not better exercise for the back than Yoga.

It gives you strength, flexibility, and mind-body awareness. Yoga can help you stay flexible and strong without putting added stress on your joints. You get the added benefit of a mind-body approach that can help you relax and energize. If you're pregnant, yoga can help keep you relaxed, strong, and in shape : webmd.com

I never thought I would be able to carry even one kg, but now I do all the shopping and some times I carry even 15-20 kgs bag in my hand and walk home.

John's Hopkins medical school has this to say about yoga ..

Harvard Medical school has this to say about yoga ..

Yoga has given the needed tenacity and strength to my back muscles.

George ..

No comments:

Post a Comment