Sunday, June 14, 2020

International Blood donation Day, June 14..

At the small function in St Johns Hospital.
St. John's Hospital Bangalore is the favourite place where I go for voluntary blood donation. Maybe that could have been the reason why they invited me on June 13 for the function to celebrate the International Blood Donation day at St. Johns Hospital, Bangalore.

One of the elderly wellwishers was worried why blood donation at this time of global Covid infection, I calmed his sincere concerns after a brief talk.


I reached the St. John's blood bank on their invite 15 mins esrly on 13 June '20. After an introduction with the Dy. Director  the program started with many doctors and nurses.

Dr. Seetalakshmi was my host, though Dr. Jyoti Idiculla, HOD, Gen. Medicine and wife of my CET friend John Mathew was also present. Most of the speakers spoke of the virtues of blood donation.

One does not know who of them will benefit..
I spoke of my experience of blood donation from 1984 at Trivandrum Medical college SUT hospital, Regional Cancer centre (RCC) TVM, Goa Medical College, IIT Bombay hospital, Nanavati hospital Mumbai etc.

From 2007, its been in Bangalore, back to St John's, Bangalore, Narayana Hrudayalaya Bangalore, Swami Vivekananda Trust, Bangalore, St. Gregorios Orthodox church Bangalore etc .... 

In the process of donation ..
After the programme and tea, I went for the second blood donation of the year. Usually 450 ml of blood is taken at a time, given that I  have not had any infection over the past 3 months. It can be seperated and upto 3 patients can make use of the blood plasma and platelets.

At little above 90 kgs, it is my selfish interest too to trim down.. Blood donation has helped me keep perfect health over the past 35 years, except for a low back ache which is now perfectly under control, thanks to daily yoga.

The many benefits of blood donation

Once you start giving blood, most of the time the donor will never have a health condition which warrants blood, this is my experience. I have done more than 30 times so far and going strong.
I recommend every human being to donate blood at least once every year. I was told that being a regular blood donor, I will be able to donate upto the age of 65 years, another 9 years. I look forward to giving life to at least 25 people more by then.

I was fortunate enough to be of help to some of my Professors at IIT Bombay and even to this day, I am in touch with them.

George..

4 comments: