Wednesday, August 2, 2023

My 50 th blood donation - Single Donor Platelets ..

 
Some people say that I am off my senses, they say that I am doing it for fame.. The fact is I do it out of a passion to serve humanity and in the process regain the youth in my body by generating fresh blood every two months. Its been almost 3 weeks since my last donation, the 49th. It was a platelet apheresis. So this time I contacted Dr Sitalakshmi from St Johns telling of my willingess to do a platelet apheresis. Due to some job preoccupations, I could not go on the FN of the day. It was a great feeling when I assured Dr. Sitalakshmi, head of Haematology in St Johns hospital Bangalore that I would be coming on the afternoon of 26 July 2023 for my 50th blood donation, this time too a platelet apheresis. 
I had done an earlier platelet apheresis just three weeks back. I had been doing whole blood donations till # 44 and after that I have shifted focus to apheresis. The damage to our body is less, but the utility to the recipient is great. An apheresis is equivalent to almost 6-10 whole blood apheresis, also called single donor platelet donation. 
 
Here is an FAQ I prepared to clear people's doubts on such donations. click here. Earlier when I used to do platelet apheresis,  used to have a slight low backache. For the past two platelet apheresis, I am feeling perfectly fine, no low back ache.
 
Its almost a week after the 50th donation. I am feeling perfectly fine now. The feeling of having been able to influence someone's life through our actions is indeed a great feeling.

I have to specially dedicate this apheresis to my most loved political leader late Sri Oommen Chandy, the former twice CM of Kerala representing Puthupally in Kottayam, my wife Anila's native place. 

George..



No comments:

Post a Comment